Property crimes and burglaries declined by 55 percent and 69 percent over the past few decades. But it does not mean that these crimes will not happen to you. Taking some security measures when designing your home can help mitigate the risk of being a victim of crime. And one of the best ways to accomplish this is by designing the home with security in mind.
But when most people think about home design, the first thing that comes to mind is aesthetics. How does this room look? How can I make it more beautiful? But when designing a home for security purposes, you need to focus on more than appearances. Here are some tips to help you create a safe and secure home without sacrificing style.
Start with the front door.
When designing your home for security, it’s essential to start with the front door. Make sure it’s strong and sturdy, with a good lock that can be easily accessed from the inside. If you have a porch or deck, ensure it’s well lit and avoid planting large trees or shrubs near the door that could provide cover for a potential intruder.
Installing a durable surface-mounted door closer can enhance safety in the house. The mechanism prevents the door from slamming into a person coming through the door. It also contains backdrafts in case of fires. If possible, install a deadbolt lock on the door for extra security.
Don’t forget about the windows.
Windows are another weak spot in many homes, and they are one of the most common entry points for burglars. That’s why ensuring your windows are designed for security is important. Here are a few tips:
- Install window locks.
- Place furniture or other obstacles in front of windows that can be used to climb in.
- Install window film that makes it difficult for burglars to see inside your home.
- Install window alarms and incorporate them into your home security system.
Ensure all windows are locked when you’re not home and consider installing window bars or grilles for added security.
Pay attention to the landscaping.
Landscaping is a critical part of home security. Well-maintained landscaping can make it more difficult for criminals to access your home and hide their activities. Here are some tips for designing your landscaping with safety in mind:
- Plan your landscape carefully. Think about the layout and use of plants, trees, and other features. Try to create a natural barrier that will make it difficult for criminals to get close to your home.
- Use thorny plants and bushes around the perimeter of your property. These plants can deter criminals and make it difficult for them to get away quickly.
- Keep shrubs and trees trimmed so that they do not provide cover for criminals. Also, remove any debris or objects that could be used to conceal someone near your home.
- Make sure you have good fencing around your property. The fencing should be sturdy and tall enough to deter would-be intruders.
Following these tips can create a safer and more secure home landscape.
Consider a home security system.
A home security system is one of the best ways to deter burglars and keep your family safe. If you can afford it, consider investing in a comprehensive system with cameras and alarms.
These systems are essential for several reasons:
- They can help to protect your family and your belongings.
- They can help to deter crime in your neighborhood.
- They can help to lower your insurance premiums.
A home security system can provide peace of mind by allowing you to know that your family is safe and that your belongings are protected. It can also help to deter crime by making it more difficult for criminals to access your home. And finally, it can help to save you money on your insurance premiums.
Install motion-activated lights around the exterior of your home.
Motion-activated lights deter would-be burglars by making it difficult for them to hide in the dark. Additionally, they can help you see who is coming and going from your home, providing an extra level of security.
There are a few things to consider when installing motion-activated lights:
- The sensor’s location: For the most effective coverage, place the sensor in an area where it can detect movement from all sides.
- The range of the sensor: You should consider the range of the sensor, especially if you have a larger home or property.
- The light output: Choose a light with enough lumens to provide adequate lighting for your needs.
- The duration of the light: Consider the length of time the lights will stay on after detecting movement.
Motion-activated lights are a great way to increase the security of your home. They can provide light when someone is approaching your home or when you’re arriving home in the dark. This can help you feel safer when you’re home alone or at night.
By following these tips, you can design a stylish and secure home. Don’t wait until it’s too late to take action. Start making security a priority today.